Saturday, January 13, 2007

Of Carlos Bulosan Part 1 of 2


As I was passing barangay Sto. Nino in Binalonan, I noticed the statue of Carlos Bulosan. Last year the town declared September 11 as Bulosan Day to commemorate his death. Bulosan is noted for his book, America is in the Heart, which dramatically inspires Filipinos and other kindreds of the world to live and survive in the United States of America.

I would not blog him here unless I read his book which brought me back to my childhood days. Here is Bulosan's words in one moment of reality of life in the barrio.

"My father halted the carabao, or water buffalo, and bit the rope. He put his wet hands on his hips and waited patiently for me. When I reached him, I lean against the carabao and gasped for breath. The kind animal turned his head toward me and switched the flies off his back with his long tail."

What a complete description of his experience! His brilliance and simplicity of writing was portrayed.




Why did this book being read by other people aside from Filipinos? You have to read and place yourself in the great mind of Carlos Bulosan.